Dear Anna Kate,
Happy Birthday Sweet Girl!
I woke up early this morning, despite losing an hour to daylight savings time, despite the exhaustion of planning and hosting your wonderful first birthday party, because I can't sleep. This time last year, I couldn't sleep either. I paced the house in labor, letting your Daddy sleep because who knew the next time we would sleep. A few short hours later and we were in the hospital (without Bojangles, be sure to ask your Dad about that some day) and by mid-afternoon you were here in my arms.
It has been the most wonderful, difficult, sweet, challenging, and amazing year of our lives. Everyone tells you that you can't imagine how being a parent will change you, and they are so right. You have changed your Daddy and I for the better. Those first few months were pretty hard, but as I listen to you wake up, I know how far all three of us have come!
You have become such a sweetheart. You have a curiosity that is going to help you change the world... if you don't get hurt first. You don't give away your smiles for free, and we can't say that we mind because we would steal them all and keep them for ourselves if we could, anyways. It makes it that much sweeter for those around you to experience your smiles and laughter because it is such a treat. I think in that way you have your Daddy's serious side, but you are a Mommy's girl to the core right now.
I could literally go on and on, but you're ready to get up and begin our day, and I can't wait to spend it with you. Sweet girl, you are so loved, by me and so so many other people- please don't forget that. I hope the second year is just as wonderful as the first. Happy Birthday, Anna Kate. I love you very much.

No comments:
Post a Comment